- head of state
- nounthe chief public representative of a country who may also be the head of government• Syn: ↑chief of state• Hypernyms: ↑representative• Hyponyms:↑chancellor, ↑premier, ↑prime minister, ↑Prime Minister, ↑PM, ↑president, ↑President of the United States, ↑United States President, ↑President, ↑Chief Executive, ↑sovereign, ↑crowned head, ↑monarch
* * *the person who holds the highest position in a national government: a meeting of heads of state.
* * *head of state nounThe chief representative of a country, not necessarily the head of government• • •Main Entry: ↑head
* * *the leader of a country, for example a king, queen, or presidentThesaurus: ruling and not rulinghyponym
* * *n. the chief public representative of a country, such as a president or monarch, who may also be the head of government
* * *ˌhead of ˈstate [head of state heads of state] noun (pl. heads of state)the official leader of a country who is sometimes also the leader of the government
The Queen was joined by the US President and other heads of state from around the world.Example Bank:
She was sworn in as the country's first civilian head of state in three decades.
Visiting heads of state usually stay in the palace.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
head of state — ► NOUN ▪ the chief public representative of a country, who may also be the head of government … English terms dictionary
head of state — plural heads of state n the main representative of a country, such as a queen, king, or president, who may not have duties in the country s government … Dictionary of contemporary English
head of state — (plural ,heads of state) noun count the leader of a country, for example a king, queen, or president … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
Head of state — This article is about the political term. For other uses, see Head of state (disambiguation). A head of state is the individual that serves as the chief public representative of a monarchy, republic, federation, commonwealth or other kind of… … Wikipedia
Head of State — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel Head of State Produktionsland USA … Deutsch Wikipedia
head of state — The leading representative of the state, usually either a president or monarch. The incumbent normally has an essentially symbolic role, but like the flag and certain other traditions the office can provide a focus around which people can… … Glossary of UK Government and Politics
head of state — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms head of state : singular head of state plural heads of state the leader of a country, for example a king, queen, or president … English dictionary
Head of State — Président par accident Président par accident Titre original Head of State Réalisation Chris Rock Acteurs principaux Chris Rock Bernie Mac Tracy Morgan Scénario Chris Rock Ali LeRoi Jerry Seinfeld Michael Jackson Musique … Wikipédia en Français
head of state — heads of state N COUNT A head of state is the leader of a country, for example a president, king, or queen … English dictionary
head of state — noun the chief public representative of a country, who may also be the head of government … English new terms dictionary